Monday 16 March 2009

Nip it in the bud!

Today's idiom is:

Nip it in the bud

When we want to stop something from continuing because we can see it will be bad or not good for us, we "nip it in the bud," which means to stop it in the early stages before it gets any worse. 

Example 1

A:I notice John has been asking you to borrow some money again.

B:I know. I said yes this time, but I'll have to nip it in the bud.

Example 2

A: Have you noticed Jimmy has started smoking?

B: We'll have to nip that in the bud. I simply won't allow it.

Check out our English grammar blog

Native English proofreading and editing services
아시안 학생들 및 비즈니스를 위한 영문서류수정서비스
英・米国ネーティブによる、学生や企業等への編集・構成サービス
Simplified Chinese - English translation services
Jasa proofreading dan pengeditan oleh Penutur Asli Bahasa Inggris
บริการแก้ไขและตรวจทานภาษาอังกฤษโดยเจ้าของภาษาให้กับนักศึกษาและธุรกิจ
面向亚洲学生和商务人士的英语母语校对和编辑服务
Onsite English Idiioms Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment